Saturday, September 13, 2014

Working It Out


Well, it's been a while and I think I need to do some blogging. I feel like I need to get some things out that I just haven't had any luck with resolving internally.  I will probably repeat myself from past blogs - but that's ok - it's MY blog, and if anyone doesn't enjoy reading it or doesn't get something out of it, please feel free to not read it anymore. I understand if it's not for you. My intent when I blog is not to offend anyone, but I know that sometimes things "sound" different when written vs. when said in conversation. I sincerely hope that my blog does not offend anyone, as I try very hard to be diplomatic and respectful.  If anyone has questions about anything, I'm always open and welcome constructive criticism.

I am continually bothered that a great majority of our society ignores or is unwilling to listen to the incredible information that is out there to help them.  I see it all the time, especially when it comes to illnesses.  Now, I know I'm no expert, and I never claimed to be one - but just look at me, for an example.  I used to work in an office with about 25 other people, with various ages and lifestyles.  Almost each and every one of them got really sick at least two or three times per year.  But not me. Ever.  For over 8 years. (Except for once last fall, but that was the only real exception, and it was stress induced.) I'm talking the full-blown sickness, like the flu or something. Minor colds and such, yes, I do get those - but not very often, and never anything severe.  So when people don't understand why I eat the way I do, or why I try to avoid toxic chemicals, or when I don't take an Advil every time I have a headache - look at my health history.  You really can't argue with the fact that I'm never sick. Luck? Genes? Maybe, but not likely. Sure, it's a lot "harder" and sometimes more expensive to eat this way, and annoying to take the extra time EVERY time to check ingredients or suffer through a headache. I do cave occasionally and take an Advil or eat some junk food.  But the point is, it's not the norm for me.   So I try to share the knowledge that I have with the people I care about, and with the ones who are open to listening.  If they won't even listen to the options, they'll never know what they may be missing.  I won't ever pressure anyone to change.  But it can be frustrating when some people won't even listen to it and truly hear it, and then continue to complain about being sick or whatever.  God forbid that anyone get a disease, that would be awful - but unfortunately, it would not be very surprising, with all the toxic foods and chemicals everywhere you look.  I know I'm not 100% immune, and I might get some disease one day. There are many factors in our environment that I have no control over.  But I think that what I am doing is helping me stay healthier, and is minimizing my risk - based on my results so far.  So, my main point is, please don't just blindly follow the crowd, and believe that government agencies (FDA, CDC, etc.) and many other revenue-seeking organizations have your best interests at heart. Do your own research before deciding what actions you want to take. Look at the sources of the information and ask the following: what are their credentials/education/experience? What motivation do they have behind their services/products?  Who pays their salary? Are they open to discussion/questions, or do they automatically get defensive?  Do they show pros and cons to both/all sides?  I'll gladly share what I've learned, but don't just trust me, either.  Learn for yourself, and maybe you'll find something new you can share with your loved ones.  Maybe next time I blog, I will share my findings for those who are willing to listen.

So, on another note - the one year anniversary of my dad's death just passed, and my mom's is approaching fast.  It doesn't seem possible that they've both been gone a year already.  I don't cry as often as I used to, but it's weird how something  about them will hit me at a random time, and I'm right back to like it was yesterday.  I think what I miss the most (out of many things) is not having my mom to talk to. Granted, she wasn't the same mom she used to be during the last 10 years or so, but just the fact that I don't have her around if I wanted to talk to her is so bizarre. No one loves you like your mom. I truly know that now because I'm a mom, and I know what it feels like to love your child.  There is nothing like it.  Even on the worst days, your child is your miracle, the love of your life.  I would do anything for him, and want to do everything I can to help him live his life to the fullest.  I know that my mom felt the same way about her children.  There is just no replacement for your mom.  And being so far away from most of my family makes it a little harder, too.

Mom and I at my wedding in 2008.

I know that most people are trying to do the best that they can when it comes to taking care of their children. And I sure have learned a LOT over the last 16 months that I never knew before, and am still learning.  I'm very grateful to have met a few people who understand and are pretty much on the same page as we are, since it seems as though our "ways" are not the most common.  There sure is a lot of information out there now with so many "expertly" written books and the internet, and it can be very overwhelming and confusing.  So in an effort to help anyone looking for just a few places to go for some guidance, here are a few that really helped get me on track, along with the help of a few good friends and family members.

1. We have an amazing pediatrician, James Brian Thornburg, who doesn't force unnecessary meds on my son - he focuses on prevention and building up his immune system.  And he has 8 children!! I highly recommend finding a pediatrician who shares most (if not all) of your views, or at the very least, respects your wishes. 
http://www.thornburgpediatrics.com/

2. A few outstanding pages on Facebook: Dr. Mercola, Motherwise, The Badass Breastfeeder, Dr. Sears and Evolutionary Parenting.  All are very knowledgeable and helpful regarding gentle parenting, breastfeeding, vaccination info, as well as on so many misconceptions about babies/children (especially sleeping!) that we've all been told over the years.  It's great to have access to their knowledge and support. What a blessing they've been.  I'm sure they all have regular websites, too.

3. The AAP book that you can get for free when you sign up for the Publix Baby Club. I take the info in this book with a HUGE grain of salt, but I like having a place to look up milestones and guidelines. I don't always follow it to a tee, but it can be very useful and has a lot of information all in one place.

Thanks to all who've listened. I hope it's helped in some small way. I'd sure feel better knowing it did!



No comments:

Post a Comment